This seafood dish takes very little time to cook, so makes a simple lunch or late supper. Ouzo and lemon juice add a piquant note.
500g/1 ½ lb prepared squid
30ml/2 tbsp olive oil
30ml/2 tbsp sesame seeds
15ml/1 tbsp green peppercorns
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 spring onion (scallions), sliced
25g/1 oz drained canned anchovies, chopped tender bulb portion of 1 lemon grass stalk, sliced
15ml/1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
15ml/1 tbsp torn fresh basil leaves
150ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup fish stock
10ml/2tsp lemon juice
10ml/2 tsp ouzo
75g/3oz/ ¾ cup mangetouts (snow peas)
Fresh basil spring and pieces of cooked poppadum, to garnish
1. Cut the squid into strips, rinse under cold water, drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok and toast the sesame seeds with the green peppercorns for a few seconds.
3. Add the garlic, spring onions and squid. Toss to coat in the sesame mixture.
4. Stir in the anchovies, lemon grass, chopped parsley and basil. Pour in the stock, lemon juice and ouzo and simmer for about 12 minutes.
5. Add the mangetouts and cook for 2 minutes more. Season with salt and serve on individual plates. Garnish with basil and pieces of poppadum. Serve immediately.
• Protein: 23.3g
• Total Carbohydrate: 2.9g (Sugars: 1.2g)
• Total Fat: 12.8g
• Saturated Fat: 2g
• Cholesterol: 285mg
• Fibre: 1.4g
• Sodium: 387mg
• Calcium: 107mg