The flavors of the media are captured in this delicious healthy vegetable dish ideal for a light lunch served with crusty bread.
1 onion, sliced
2 leeks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, cursed
1 red (bell) pepper, sliced
1 green (bell) pepper, sliced
1 yellow (bell) pepper, sliced
350g/ 2oz courgettes (zucchini), sliced
225g/Boz/3 cups mushrooms, sliced
400g / 4oz can chopped tomatoes
30ml/2 tbsp ruby part of red wine
30ml/2 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
15ml/1 tbsp tomato ketchup (optional)
400g/4oz can chickpeas
115g/4oz/1 cup stoned (pitted) black olives
45ml/3 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs, including oregano and basil
Salt and ground black pepper chopped fresh mixed herbs, to garnish
- Put the onion, leeks, garlic, red, yellow, and green peppers, coquettes and mushrooms into a large heavy pan.
- Add the tomatoes, port or red wine tomato puree and tomato ketchup, if using, to the pan and mix all the ingredients together well.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and to the pan, Stir cover bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer the mixture gently for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are cocked and tender but not overcooked stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid of the saucepan and increase the heat slightly for the last 10 minutes of the cooking time, to thicken the sauce if you like.
- Stir in the olives, herbs and seasoning. Serve either hot or cold, garnish with chopped mixed herbs.
- Calories: 201 (843kJ)
- Total Carbs: 22.3g (Sugar: 10.4g)
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: Nil
- Fibre: 5.9g
- Sodium: 175mg
- Calcium: 57mg